There is a feral cat that I have fed a cple x's. 1 of our cts & the dog are not liking this. I feel bad abt not. Wht 2do

It would stay in the yard and stare into the house, acting like it is checking it out. This drives one of our cats and the dog crazy. We are not able to bring in another cat.

Asked by Member 1132417 on Sep 25th 2012 in Other Adoption & Rescue

Answers

I know your heart was in the right place when you began feeding this cat. However, it's what has caused the problem. This can also escalate into the cat having kittens in your yard, and bringing "friends" in, including attracting unwanted wildlife to your yard. You have 2 options. Stop feeding the cat. Eventually, when it knows there is no more food out, it will go someplace else. The other option is to borrow a humane trap from your animal control officer. They will show you how to use it and how to "bait" it. DO NOT try to remove the cat yourself if you do trap it. Notify the animal control officer and they will take care of it. If the feral remains in your yard, you take the chance of your own animals attacking each other. This is called "misdirected aggression" and it happens when your animals can't get outside to "get at" the feral.