Cyrus

Swollen and watery eye..help!

My baby Cyrus, is now 4 yrs old. And i am now feeling extremely worried cause of his left eye. It's watery at first then later after few hours it got a little red and swollen. No other weird symptoms except his eye..This is the first time his like this.

Help..i'm very worried. Further more today is a Sunday and tomorrow is a public holiday so i don't think the vet is open. Can someone tell me what can i do? Can i use human's eye drop to ease his eye?

Thank you!

Me & Cyrus

Asked by Cyrus on Aug 29th 2009 Tagged swollen, watery, eye in Other Health & Wellness

Answers

Boris

I took Boris in recently for a similar problem (watery eye, redness on the third eyelid), and the vet stressed out how I made the right call, as eye problems of any kind should be taken extremely seriously. Furthermore, he asked if I had been doing anything in the interim, and when I told him no, he said that was a good thing.

He explained that depending on which of two common problems Boris could have had (conjuctivitis vs. a scratch on the eye itself), a different medication was prescribed, and that homeopathic remedies can aggravate either condition.

I know you are in Malaysia, but do they have anything like an emergency vet clinic anywhere near you live? Because this is an emergency, and you are correct in that it should not wait until Tuesday. If you have an ER pet clinic available, you should go there tonight.

Boris answered on 8/29/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Boris is right. If it's just a watery eye we usually just think it's a clogged tear duct, but redness means vet. I just wanted to stress that you should NOT use human eye drops on your kitties. You can blind your kitties by using human things on their eyes. Kitty eyes are very sensitive, and as a rule we NEVER use human remedies on cats. Our most common, harmless drugs can kill them very easily. I'm very glad you asked rather than just trying it. I'm not trying to be rude (you can't tell tone in text) I'm just trying to make my point very clear. You do need an emergency vet, but if they don't have any options in your country until tuesday, you should just keep the eye clean. Use a clean, damp, soft cloth and very gently clean the outside of the eye. Be careful to stay away from the inside, it hurts to stick your finger in their eye just like it would hurt to stick your finger in your own eye. Keep us posted and feel better kitty!

Hunter

Eye problems of any kind should be considered an emergency and treated as such. NEVER use human medicines on a cat and certainly DO NOT put anything into the eye as somethings can cause more harm than good depending on what is actually wrong with the eye. Yo need to find an ER vet and go in ASAP.

Hunter answered on 8/30/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Spike

Spike gets the same kind of thing from time to time. The vet always checks for scratches first. (Since Spike lives such a sedentary life they are unlikely, but must be checked for). It is my understanding that eye infections (of whatever cause--chlamydia is another one) can lead to blindness. Do your best to find an ER vet, and if you can't, take Cyrus to the vet first thing Tuesday morning. In the interim, if you can't find an ER, do you have shelters in your area? They can give you advice about vets and about what to do until you can get to one. Don't give up hope, but DO act as quickly as possible.

Spike answered on 8/30/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Scruggsie

I just took my kitty Scruggsie to the emergency vet yesterday for the same problem. She had a watery eye a few days ago (she kept closing her eye partway) but no visible scratch or redness. It seemed to go back to normal the next day... then yesterday, I noticed a red lump above her eye, and a tiny scratch on her upper eyelid. Turns out the scratch got infected, and she had an abscess. The vet stressed that it was good that I brought her in, because failure to treat it could have caused serious problems. The abscess was lanced & drained under anesthesia, and Scruggsie was given pain meds, oral antibiotics, and antibiotic ointment. (Oh, and an e-collar, which she HATES!) But I am so grateful that she is going to be OK.

Scruggsie answered on 8/31/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer