Struggling with cats death

Hello,
I had a 20 year old cat who had to be put down this afternoon. I am concerned, did we do the right thing ? He was getting very old, and losing weight and yesterday afternoon was having difficulty breathing. It continued till this afternoon, when we brought him to the vet. But, what went wrong? Was it heart failure? I mean, he was still eating and drinking. But could barely walk a few steps without flopping over, gasping for air.
Also, when we went to take him to the vet, my mother picked him up and he actually peed on her! He has never done this before. Was he just scared? I am hoping we made the right decision in putting him down. Any ideas?
Thank you.

Asked by Member 1189522 on Sep 11th 2013 in Loss of a Pet

Answers

I apologize that no one has answered your question, and I offer my deepest sympathy on your loss. From what you've said, you made the right decision. Your baby was in great distress. The vet may have been able to treat and/or medicate him to keep him alive for a small while, but it would have been no quality of life for him and prolonging the inevitable. As humans who love our animals, we are blessed to have the ability to end their suffering when they have no quality of life. This is the kindest thing we can do for them. This is our way of saying "thanks" for years of companionship, loyalty and love. To prolong their lives when they are suffering, to keep them in our world when they are ready for the next is not fair to them. I believe in the Rainbow Bridge and that the much beloved animals I've sent there wait for me to join them. One day in the future, your dear kitty may tap another kitty on the head and tell them it's time for them to join your family. We send purrs and hugs!

Hello,
I am sorry to hear this that your cat is no more. You did the right thing which you could at that time. I think it happen just because of his age. You don't went wrong. So you don't need to worry.

I am truly heartfelt for your loss. You did the right thing. There are so many "what ifs?" when it comes down to it, but you had an amazing 20 year relationship with a wonderful pet who knows you love him enough not to see him suffer. Yes, I use the present tense. He is still with you and will be looking over you and missing you until you can meet again. We lost our senior kitty of 18 years almost a year ago; I definitely know what you are going through. It is hard to watch their decline from a robust cat to a shell of what they once were. It seems that when a cat is ready to show an illness, a lot of times it is too late; they are master magicians at hiding what is really going on. My prayers are with you and your family. I watched my friend's health decline for over two weeks and was with him when he passed. If I had it to do over again, I think I would have him put down after the first week; he tried so hard! Sending hugs your way!!!