Lucy

stray cat problem

There is a stray tom cat that i have been feeding for a while now. He is not neutered, no shots & who knows what kind of diseases he could have. Lately he has become very territorial and aggressive to other outside cats, and i know this is because of male testosterone poisoning from not be neutered. I have the option to take him to the shelter, where he could be euthanized... or continue to let him roam around my apt. complex. advice please!

Asked by Lucy on Nov 15th 2009 in Health & Wellness

Answers

Princess

I would try to find him a good home. Just because he is not neutered doesn't mean he isn't, or could not be a good cat. He probably feel territorial b/c you've been feeding him and he doesn't want any other cats getting food from you. He's probably became attached. I would try to find him a good home before I take him to a shelter to euthanize him. Just because he is territorial doesn't mean he deserves to die. Thats my opinion.

Princess answered on 11/15/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Jack Kayden -love always

If you found him at your apartment complex, its possible he belongs to one of the other tenants. He may be visiting your place just because he likes the food, not because he is necessarily homeless. I've put food out before and believe me, it attracts every cat in the neighborhood. Try putting up flyers or asking around the building. Otherwise, if he is homeless it does leave you with a tough decision. 70% of cats taken to the shelter are euthanized, so his chances of being adopted are slim. On the other hand, you don't want him impregnating other cats in the area because this will lead to more kittens/cats. Try contacting a rescue group in your area, but don't be disappointed if they care full and can't help you right away. Rescue groups are doing everything they can, but their just isn't enough money or volunteers to rescue every kitty in need. If you are able to foster him until he finds a family, rescue groups are more likely to work with you.

Jack Kayden -love always answered on 11/15/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Welcome to Catster. I see by your profile that you are owned by 2 other kitties. I'd like to strongy suggest that you handle this situation with extreme caution. This Friday, I foolishly attempted to pet a cat that hangs around our house. He is not a stray, looks healthy and is probably someone's outdoor cat. With no provocation other than hearing my barking dogs, the cat suddenly sunk his teeth and claws into my right hand. If this cat had been a true stray, I would more than likely be facing a course of rabies shots. When I worked in animal rescue, we always said "You feed, you breed". You will attract more cats to your apartment by feeding and eventually have a kitten issue to deal with. My suggestion is to contact your local shelter, humane organization or animal control to have this cat trapped. A lot of rescues now have good TNR programs and they may be able to help you. My experiences as a volunteer and also with this cat on Friday tell me you should leave this to the pros.

I agree with Izzie that contacting your local humane society is probably your best bet. Even if they don't have room for him at the shelter, they may have a program for spay/neuter of feral animals to control the population.

More Questions in This Category