spraying cats

I have 5 cats, 3 female, 2 male, ALL desexed, ages ranging from 8-10 years.
I have an issue with a cat (or more?) spraying in strange places. One common place is on the kettle. None are allowed on the bench. The other place is on the curtains hanging behind the freezer. I often find spray on the loo paper in the bathroom. I understand that it is/can be an anxiety and territorial thing. As the curtains overlook the neighbours places the 'other cats' could well be the cause of that place being targeted. But the kettle? And a plastic bag?
In addition to the spraying, someone likes to pee on the freezer. It's a proper pee, not spray run off and is usually done on papers of some sort. The other favourite place is the bathroom mat.
The cats are indoor/outdoor cats and go to the loo outside, so litter box issues don't seem to be applicable.
I've cleaned all the areas with vinegar and or bi carb to discourage this, but it doesn't work. Sprinkling white pepper does, but not for long.

Asked by Member 1180974 on Jul 18th 2013 Tagged oldercats, spraying in Urine Marking & House Soiling

Answers

The best thing you can do is to purchase a black light and go around your place in the dark. You may find that the cats have been spraying all over for years, or that there are just a few isolated areas. If there is a rat or mice in your walls, the cats can smell it and spray. If the soiling is severe you will need to hire a service to come in and remove all the pee to prevent markings in the future. You should also have at least Four litter boxes in different places, and toys, treats and climbers to keep the cats occupied. If these behaviors have become habit, your house may be ruined and you will need to plastic-cover all areas so that the pee does not absorb into the walls. ^_^