Sully

So I have a new cat ... should I separate her from my old cat?

I'd been thinking about getting a new cat and someone was looking for a home for a 6-7 month old female. I have a 8-year-old female. We decided on a trial period and they've brought her over. She's currently in a bed on the floor; my current cat is on the couch nearby (she arrived maybe 3 hour ago). We didn't separate them right off and I'm wondering if I should. There's some hissing and growling from Sully (my current cat) but nothing major.

Asked by Sully on Dec 1st 2012 in Adoption & Rescue

Answers

Princess Puss

Its always a good idea to quarantine a new cat. The cats need time to get to know each other and sniff each other out first. A baby gate is really helpful, but if you don't have one, here is a suggestion:

Get a large crate/kennel with metal bars (NOT a plastic case like you would use for transport) and put some food & water in there, and leave the new cat in there for a few hours at a time. This way the dominant cat, which is the cat that was already in the home, can come & inspect the new cat without feeling threatened. Give it a few days to a week, and see what happens.

If things seem to be improving, then I would place them in adjoining rooms, with some sort of barrier/filter between them, and then just take it in baby steps from there.

You wouldn't like it if the person YOU lived with brought someone else into your house without checking with YOU first, right? Well cats are much the same way. They are very territorial and some will NOT accept another cat, no matter whar you do.

Princess Puss answered on 12/1/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Baby

If your cat is old you might wanna seperate them for a while.Put Sally in a obvious place she likes for starters if she likes her cat house then she can stay there for a while then buy a cat house if you already have one,place the new cat there.Put one cat house on the left side and the other on the right.This way,the cats will stay away from eachover once they get to know the cat house and their territory.This way,fighting will not happen as the cat knows not to cross the line.If spraying occours,go to the vet to fix it.

Baby answered on 12/1/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer