Small circle on cats stomach with black spot in center surrounded by redness? What may this be?

On the stomach of our medium haired female 2 year old cat we noticed a circle that is about 1 centimeter in diameter and has a black spot in the middle of that circle and redness around the black. It seems to irritate her when it is touched. One family member noticed this about 3 1/2 weeks ago when we adopted her but never said anything, could you please let me know what this may be?
We do plan to see a vet about this.

Asked by Member 961723 on Feb 9th 2010 Tagged spotblackredstomachcat in Health & Wellness

Answers

I am glad that you're going to see a vet. Even though it doesn't sound like classic ringworm and after a month you'd probably all have it by now, on the off- chance that it is ringworm, the sooner the trip to the vet is probably the better. Could it be an infected stitch that has worked it's way out and is now infected? Was she spayed before you adopted her? That would cause her to not like it to be touched. In any case, if it is painful to her, I would suggest that your plans to see a vet be made as soon as you can.

Does your cat go outdoors? I've never had a cat with ringworm, but I do know that it can be passed to humans, so be careful. Another possibility (although not so much at this time of year) is a bot fly infection--in other words, the larva of a bot fly is living inside the skin of your cat. If so, it will eventually create a breathing hole (eww...) and come out on its own, but leave the diagnosis and treatment, whatever the problem, to your vet.

Chibi answered on 2/11/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer