Nikki

signs if a cat is in labor?

would like to know what the signs of a cat in labor are so i can be prepared.
zoe is due any day now! tia!

Asked by Nikki on May 17th 2010 in Kittens

Best Answer

Signs to watch for: restlessness, going into closets and other small spaces (make SURE all vents, ducts and any other places she can wedge herself into that would be hard to get her out of are closed up or blocked off), bloody "show" or staining from her vagina, not eating, dragging papers/blankets/towels around for nest building, wandering around and meowing, panting, licking her private parts, you may even see the kittens inside her becoming more active. Notify your vet that she's about to give birth. Keep other animals and curious humans away. Provide her with a nesting box with towels and newspaper or she'll find her own spot that may not be convenient for you. Get some kitten food to mix with her regular diet as she'll need the extra nutrition for when she's nursing. And when the kittens are weaned, will you consider having her spayed? There are SO many homeless kittens in our country now! Thanks and keep us updated on her progress.

Izadore (Izzie) answered on May 18th.

Answers

It depends on the cat. Of my brood, so far Leila has had two litters, Chibi one. Since both pregnancies were the result of an assignation with a stud cat, and since cats tend to have remarkably predictable gestation periods, I had a fairly good idea when they were to give birth. Leila is an extremely efficient kitten maker, and did everything on schedule (giving birth, weaning, etc.). She showed no signs of being about to give birth until--surprise!--I found seven kittens under my bed. (Yes, she had a birthing box, but chose to give birth under the bed.) Chibi, however, roamed around "calling" to me and leaving a trail of bloody urine--the result of pressure on the bladder. You may or may not know when your cat is about to give birth. Prepare a birthing box and things that may be necessary if something goes wrong, and do have an emergency vet on hand just in case. Purrs.