bob marley

Should my cat wear a collar?. She loves going outside but I had one on her and her leg got trapped in it!!

Frightened she gets lost without a name tag and collar

Asked by bob marley on Aug 22nd 2012 Tagged collar, nametag, lost in Loss of a Pet

Answers

My late, sweet Ernie was an outside cat, too. He lost more collars than I can count, one time within 1 minute of going out. The ideal situation would be to keep her in and safe from the dangers a cat face outside. Ernie was hit by a car and since I'd had him micro-chipped, that's how they were able to notify me when his body was brought into the vet's. Collars on a cat are iffy. If you use a "breakaway" collar and your cat gets hooked on something, the collar will let go or "break away", but then it's without a collar. If you put a regular collar on it, it could get stuck on something and be injured or not be able to get away from something that's chasing it. Microchipping is not that expensive (about $40) and sometimes humane organizations can get you a discount. All my animals are micro-chipped now even though my cats are inside cats.