Should I take my cat with me or leave her with a sitter?

I've recently taken a 3-month internship out of state. My kitty, Sophie, is pretty needy and gets depressed when I'm gone for long periods of time. My question is, do I take her with me or leave her with a trusted friend? If I take her with, she has to endure the stress of moving. Furthermore, she absolutely adores my friend and I know she will get plenty of love and affection. But I'm afraid 3 months will be too long to be without me, and that her personality might change or something. Thoughts?

Asked by Member 1027492 on Mar 22nd 2011 Tagged travel, moving, catsitting in Other Travel & Recreation

Answers

This is a Catch-22 situation for both you and your kitty. If you are moving to a place where she will be safe and content, I'd say take her with you. If you'll be moving to a place with a lot of commotion that may be upsetting to her, leave her behind. You will probably appreciate having her company and visa versa. Cats have a way of adapting to moves if their people are there with them. Take her bed, toys, dishes and box--anything familiar. If you leave her, you'll have to be prepared that she will change in 3 months. That's not to say that your relationship will be over. After you return, when she is back in her old, familiar home with you, she will acclimate once again. But she may have some issues with the upheavel and you may have to prepare yourself. She may start not using her box, etc. It's a cat's way of letting us know they're stressed. You know your cat the best. There are advantages and disadvantages to each situation. Trust yourself to make the best decision.

Dahlia

I think your answer depends on the length of the move itself. If it is a couple hours drive and she doesn't react horribly to car rides, then she should be okay to make the trip. If it is more than a couple hours, then you may want to reconsider. Cats don't do well on long car rides. They typically don't eat, drink, or go to the bathroom while riding in the car. There are sedatives you can get from a vet, but I would only recommend this if she gets incredibly stressed on car rides. It is always better and safer to avoid sedation whenever possible. Lastly, if the trip is long enough that you will be flying and you decide to take her with you, PLEASE bring her in the plane with you and have her ride under the seat. Many animals die each year riding in cargo (under the plane). You can see the statistics on each airline's website. I've flown with 2 cats in cabin but honestly would never do it again unless it was a last resort, as they were very stressed and I felt horrible. Best of luck!

Dahlia answered on 3/22/11. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer