Should I look for male or female, and what age, to go with my lonely 6 y/o female?

I have a spayed female cat with a nervous temperament and some territoriality. She lived her whole life with another female who was a year older and who died a month ago. I adopted them a year and a half ago when they were 5 and 6. She seems bored and lonely when I'm not there. If and when I consider adopting, I will go to a local shelter that I know well and consult with them. But should I have a preference for male/female or for age?

Asked by Member 1152703 on Jan 30th 2013 in Choosing the Right Pet

Answers

Typically adult cats will do better with another cat of the opposite gender, however you need to make sure the new cat has the same energy level or lower than your existing cat. Don't get a very playful kitten for a mellow older cat for example. I would suggest getting a cat close in age to your existing cat as well.

Great job on rescuing btw! Shelter staff are usually very helpful and if you have any doubts ask them if they will do a foster to adopt type deal where you can have a bit of a trial run before you make your final decision. Good luck!