Cleo

Should I keep my cat as a single cat?

I adopted Cleo as a 15 month old about 5 months ago. Her and I were very close, she spent all of her time following me around and I gave her so much love and attention! We were both very happy. Unexpectedly, I took in a friends cat, a female just a little bit older, named Gin. She has been with me for about 3 months, and at first this cat was very aggressive and Cleo would be shaking in fear. It took some time, but now Cleo is grooming the other cat and happily cuddling up with her, and generally hanging out. Cleo was always patient and kind and it was very clear she wanted to be friends with Gin. Gin is leaving in about a month, and I just don't know whether Cleo would prefer another new friend or not! I was thinking of getting a younger cat as its obvious she likes to groom and nurture and this may give her a good chance to do so. Any thoughts?

Asked by Cleo on Jul 6th 2013 Tagged singlecat, twocats, happy in Behavior & Training

Answers

I think you should get her another kitty. I think all cats benefit from having another cat around, and not being lonely. No chance in keeping Gin? :) I think I would try to find either a kitten, usually it is easier for a cat to accept a younger kitten, or a laid back adult cat who is known to be good around other cats. Good luck!

I would suggest you too get another kitty for her. All she needs is a friend and I am sure if you get another kitty she will be very happy.

I agree, more is feline merrier! What you will notice is that your relationship with Cleo will not change, and she will have a cat friend too! I suggest that you get a male though. Initial meetings are rough because cats are territorial, but a new friend for when you're not there is great for socialization, exercise etc. Just do it!! ^_^ Panda became my bf...