Mikko

Should I keep letting Mikko outside?

Ok so I let Mikko out (supervised) on a rope.
My neighborhood is quiet and private, but I have seen a fox. I was wondering, if I should let him out still? Not in winter no, but in warmer seasons? I only go in to get a drink of juice or water or whatever, and I worry that a fox might get at him while im in.
Any advice appreciated, please nothing to negative. :)

Asked by Mikko on Nov 4th 2013 in Other Behavior & Training

Answers

There's nothing wrong with it as long as he is supervised the whole time. If you go in to use the restroom and come back and he was bitten or eaten, you will not forgive yourself, so the best bet is not to put yourself in that situation. The fox, unless very brazen, will stay away if s/he can smell a human in the vicinity. ^_^

Charlie and Joey

Not necessarily will a fox not come out of hiding when a human is nearby I had a fox that lived right across from me with pups and kept eating rabbits and the occasional cat. It was very disturbing to live near a fox while you have outdoor cats many sights I do not want to relive again. If you are out there and have to go in take the cat with you or just build an enclosure for your cat. A fox will cease an opportunity to kill and take off with your cat to chow down. its best to outsmart the fox by not letting the chance arise for heartbreak.

Charlie and Joey answered on 11/4/13. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

I don't think it's a good idea to let your cat out at all. It only takes a second for something horrible to happen. Maybe you could buy or have someone make an enclosed screened area where he can still enjoy being outside, but he'll be alot safer.

Kaylee & Amelia

I think it's great that you're providing your cat with supervised outside time. Being outside in a supervised way can definitely increase their happiness and satisfaction (I take mine out on extend-leashes) and it's much safer than letting them outside alone. I think you should keep taking Mikko out, but just don't leave him unsupervised at any time. I highly doubt a fox will approach if you are outside with Mikko!

Kaylee & Amelia answered on 11/6/13. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer