shedding

Hi, I want to get a cat but want to know which breeds shed the least, are not very talkative (noisy) and are affectionate.
My cat passed and he was a Balinees who was too vocal and loud and shed.. I live in South Florida and he will be an indoor cat but I do take trips sometimes as long as 4 weeks so even with a cat sitter he needs to tolerate that..
Thank you for your help and Happy New Year.
ken

Asked by Member 1147784 on Jan 2nd 2013 Tagged shedding in Breeds

Answers

Hi, Ken. First of all, you need to decide if you really WANT a cat. You're putting a lot of conditions on getting one, and even though my Izzie thinks HE is, no cat is perfect. What you do may not please the cat, either, so it's a give and take. Frequent brushing and even a once or twice yearly professional grooming can cut down a lot on the shedding, but all of us pet owners put up with it to a cetain extent. I have 2 carpet scrubbers and a $1300 vacuum that are my best friends. Purebred cats can be costly, and not even a breeder can guarantee you they won't shed and will be seen but not heard. An older cat rather than a kitten may be your best bet, especially if you travel a lot. If you have a good cat sitter, your cat will be fine but may be a little stand-offish when you return. Go to your local shelter and explain to them what you are looking for. They know their cats and can match you with the right one. Happy New Year to you, too! Good Luck!