saline solution for kittens eyes

The runt of the litter has gunk in her eyes. She is the only one with it. I clean them 3-5 times a day with cotton balls and warm water. Could I use a saline solution mixed with the water? Vet is out on vacation and not spending 350.00 for emergency care for such a minor thing

Asked by Member 722249 on Sep 19th 2008 Tagged kittens, gunkineyessalinesoulution in Health & Wellness

Answers

Bella (In Loving Memory)

Your visit will not cost you $350 for eyes. You'll probably just have a brief exam fee (usually half the regular) + cost of meds.

If your vet is out of town call the office, chances are they have their receptionist there and she'll be referring clients to another trusted vet in the area.

If you have an ill kitten there really is no excuse for avoiding treatment. A sick kitten can very quickly become an emergency situation and you could face the choice of losing the kitten or taking it to the ER and actually spending some money.

Remember, choosing to have pets is agreeing to take complete responsibility for their health and well being, anything less is neglect.

Bella (In Loving Memory) answered on 9/20/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

I agree with Bella to the point that you need to call your vet. For sure they've lined someone else up in case of emergencies or illness of their patients. It's possible that the little one has an upper respiratory infection and may need an antibiotic such as Clavamox. This infection is contagious and could spread to the other kittens and mom as well. If it IS a URI, just wiping her eyes will not cure it and I would not use a saline solution without the approval of the vet. Give them a call on Monday to see what they suggest. I doubt it will cost you $350.00 if you go to your regular vet's office for treatment.

Sissy babysat little kitties before. What color is the gunk? Yellow is normal- clean it a few times a day. If the gunk is green I suggest going to your vet.