Radar

Revolution and fleas

I just had a dose of Revolution on August 13, and yet my mom is finding fleas all over me!! She's thinking that the Revolution isn't working since she gave me a bath 4 days after and she is still seeing fleas on me. Any information on how long it takes for the fleas to go away would be greatly appreciated!!!

Asked by Radar on Aug 18th 2009 Tagged revolution, fleas in Flea & Tick Protection

Answers

This is odd, since so many Catsters suggest Revolution (and they would know). But if your mommy thinks it's not working, warn her not to give you something else! She needs to take you to the vet and tell him how much and when she applied your meds. The vet will give her better advice than we can (although, when Mieke was 5 weeks old and covered in fleas, I bathed her in warm water with Dawn dish soap, then made sure to rinse me very thoroughly. This was her first encounter with fleas and it was long after her vet had closed. They all died, and the vet gave meds to kill the eggs). You don't want her to give you something else, because that is a LOT of chemicals to absorb through the skin. Good luck at the vet's!

Atrus

Definitely call your vet. You should not try another flea treatment until the next dose is due, unless your vet advises otherwise. Bathing is good for getting rid of fleas. Revolution does work against all life stages of fleas, but if your home is heavily infested, it will take time to get rid of them. If there at that many fleas on your kitten, especially after a treatment, they are probably all over your home as well. Just getting rid of the ones actually ON your kitten may not be enough. Giving a bath after giving Revolution does not make it less effective.

Atrus answered on 8/18/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Boris

Revolution can prevent fleas, but it's only one part of the equation. Just giving Revolution alone will not completely rid you of fleas. It didn't for me. It can prevent fleas from living on your body permanently, but if your carpet and upholstery are infested with them (fleas can live in carpets too, and very often lay eggs there, which can lie dormant for years), they will be able to still snack on you.

The best solution is to treat the environment along with you. When we had a nasty case of fleas in the home, my mom went to the store and purchased a spray with PreCor in it (a low level pesticide that prevents eggs from hatching, so you can vacuum them up). She treated all our carpets with it but took me out of the apartment first (as per the spray's instructions). When I went back home a few hours later, all those nasty fleas were gone, and then the preventive worked to keep them off.

P-mail me if you need more info on how and what to treat in your home.

Boris answered on 8/19/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Revolution will keep fleas from getting on Radar but will not kill eggs or existing fleas that may have come into your home. Get some flea bombs and take all animals and kids out for the day and let the flea bombs kill any trace of fleas. Next you should spray a yard spray around the yard to get rid of fleas and eggs. When you are treating your home for fleas if you also intend to use a spray, concentrate around where the baseboard meets the carpet, alot of people don't realize this but the fleas may burrow down inbetween those areas. If you want to immediately kill fleas that are on kitty, take just a tiny dab of original (blue) Dawn dish soap and lather into kitty's fur, rinse and it will immediately kill fleas and not harm kitty's sensitive skin. When you power vacuum your house, make sure to throw the bag away as fleas can live inside them!

Mr.Cat

Hi Little Radar - Please have mom go out and buy some Organic D.E. -
this will get rid of the fleas and keep them away. It dehydrates them... and it is safe -
Did you know Frontline and Revolution is a poison ? It is ...
Here are some links for you:

The first one is to the D.E. ( powder)

The 2nd one is all about the poison we use on our pets...

Diatomaceous Earth :
en.allexperts.com

About flea products - all the ingredients:
www.apnm.org

Mr.Cat answered on 8/19/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Bostjan

Just today my vet told me that revolution would take up to a week to get rid of the fleas. She said mom needed to wash all my blankets and vacuum thoroughly in order to make all of them go away. She also said that i could take Capstar to make them go away faster.

Bostjan answered on 7/6/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer