Ziva

Resident cats turned on each other

I brought my two cats over to my sisters to get them familiar with each other before I move them there permanently. After my cats saw her cats, they started hissing at each other. Same happened with her two cats. My cats love each other at home but once we got into a place with unfamiliar cats they turned on each other. Anyone know why this happens or how to stop it?

Asked by Ziva on Apr 2nd 2013 in Behavior & Training

Answers

Most cats do not get along with new cats right off the bat, and sometimes they never do. And the stress of being in an unfamiliar place with strange cats can cause them to turn on each other. Jackson Galaxy addresses this problem often on his Animal Planet TV show "My Cat from Hell." I recommend that you watch some episodes about this problem to get ideas on how to solve it. In fact, this past Saturday, (4/13) he dealt with this very issue. It isn't easy and it can take weeks or months; you must be 100 percent committed to making it work.