Spike

Red gums in kitten?

I've taken in a former semi-feral on a trial adoption basis. He has some kind of URI. His gums are unusually red, and he has foul breath. I had a cat with severe gingivitis in the past that may have been caused by herpes or by lymphocytic plasmacytic gingivitis stomatitis, and I am worried about this cat, too. The foster mom said the redness was being caused by his baby teeth being about to fall out, but I've had numerous cats with no dental issues whose gums did not become noticeably red when they lost their baby teeth, nor did they get foul breath. This boy's gums are an angry red, and some of his molars are already starting to decay. He's estimated to be about 4 months old, which seems a bit early for baby teeth to fall out. Does this sound like he's got a gum problem, or has anyone had a cat whose gums and teeth were a mess before they lost their baby teeth? I will post this on the Health Forum as well, so anyone who wants to make multiple/long posts can go there. Thanks.

Asked by Spike on Aug 19th 2008 in Dental Care

Answers

I posted an excellent article by a vet in the Health forums for you to read. It addresses a lot of the issues you've asked about. Hope it helps!

Austin William Dickinson

He sounds like me when I was young. PLEASE, read my diary and see hwat happened to me. It's nothing short of horrible to have teeth problems and the solution was no fun either but I am so much more happier now! Good luck! Don't give up on him, it's not his fault... :-) any questions give me a shout-out

Austin William Dickinson answered on 8/20/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer