Recently-spayed cat's stitches are out; vet says slightly-infected and unclosed wound will heal on its own-any thoughts?

I have a year old Siamese cat who was spayed over a week ago. She appears to be recovering well. Since the surgery, she has worn a cone and a netted "outfit" to keep her from messing with her bandages. Three days post-surgery, the vet said that her incision looked infected, and that I should bring her back every day to change her bandages and treat the infection with iodine. Her stitches came out on their own three days ago when changing the bandage), but the vet says the incision has not completely healed. He says that the incision, and the infection, should heal in two weeks provided I keep bringing her back everyday to change her bandages/applying more iodine. I am not being charged for these extra visits, however, it seems to me that it should not take this long for her to heal. I am wondering if there is anything that could be done for the wound to heal more quickly (re-stitching?). Does she need a second-opinion or can her wound really heal on its own? BTW, I am in Beijing.

Asked by Member 813820 on Mar 9th 2009 Tagged spay, stitches, infection in Health & Wellness

Answers

Some cats are allergic to the stitches and its possible this is why he has not restitched the wound. This happened to Jingo but the vet gave her antibiotics and before the stitches failed they used metal staples to hold the incision together. Since she's bandaged she's probably safe from anything rupturing. Has the vet given her antibiotics, you don't mention that and if not you should ask him to give her some to help her heal faster. The bandaging/method is unusual compared to what I've experienced in the USA/Britain but that may be normal in Beijing. I know the spay operation if different between USA (larger incision in stomach) and Britain (smaller incision in the cats side/flank).

The main thing I'd check with your vet is about the antibiotics if she isn't already on them. Having an untreated spay infection is dangerous and will delay healing. Getting a second opinion is a also good idea just to make sure everything is OK and the treatment makes sense.

I am not a vet, but do "Trap-Neuter-Return" with feral cats in my neighborhood. I live in Wisconsin, USA which has cold winters. I have had female cats spayed and returned to the wild within 48 hours (per Vet recommendations) and all of them survived without any problem. Two weeks seems long, but as another writer said, procedures vary from country to country. All that said, if it was my cat, I would go with the Vet's recommendations just to be safe.

Hunter

I don't understand why she is bandaged. This is unnecessary, especially if you are using a cone to prevent her from licking. You need to get her on antibiotics to kill the bacteria. Iodine treatments are unnecessary as well.

Hunter answered on 3/14/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer