Recently my 12 year old cat has been attacking my head as i sleep. she scratches at my scalp and chews on my hair/scalp

She never used to do this. she has always slept with me in my room and i've never had any issues with her being aggressive people. when she was a kitten she would nibble on wet hair but never like this. it always happens when im laying on my side or on my back in bed and she only attacks my head/hair. i tried switching shampoos, thinking perhaps she disliked the scent, but she's still doing it. at first it was kind of cute when she would nudge against the back of my head but now shes becoming increasingly violent, scratching and drawing blood, even biting my scalp. its kind of the same reaction as when she plays with catnip, nibbling and rolling around. i dont know what to do or whats wrong with her. :[

Asked by Member 1002113 on Aug 27th 2010 Tagged agression, attacking in Aggression

Answers

Joey

Whenever a cat develops a new quirk it's always a good idea to check with the vet and see if there is anything going on medically. If it turns out she is fine then it's behavioral. Has she experienced a trauma recently? She may just need a little extra attention and play time - have you been away from home a lot recently. Some household chemicals and soaps/shampoos contain chemicals that mimic catnip - in particular bleach - have you had your hair highlighted recently? If it were my cat, I would check with the vet first then try some vigorous play before bedtime. Keep her nails clipped and maybe keep her out of the room while you are sleeping if you can until you identify what is setting her off. Be sure to take care of any open wounds or scratches as they can become infected. Good luck and let us know how it turns out.

Joey answered on 8/27/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Patches

Actually I have the same issue. There is always one cat that loves smelling, licking and rubbing against my hair and my hair alone, especially after it's been washed. Now 2 more cats have started doing it, one of which runs his teeth along my scalp.
It is very much like they are on catnip when it happens, like they get high off the smell of my hair. No matter what products I use, they continue to do this, thankfully though not while I am in bed.

So I'll ask you this thought it may seem weird, are YOU on any medication or being treated for anything to do with the thyroid?

This same cat that started on my hair also loved rubbing against our family dog. The dog had hypothyroidism, just like me.
I always assumed it had to do with that, somehow it created a scent or taste that was irresistible.

I often wondered if anyone else had the same issue.

Patches answered on 8/27/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer