Yuki

Preventing male attacks on unneutered male?

So, the last question I asked was answered and I was happy with it but here's another question towards the same point. Long story short - my kitten Yuki's future mate is unneautered and he's an outdoors cat. He is being attacked by older and tougher street cats (where I live there is a lot of them) and his owner's were going to neuter him next week to stop them attacking him. Because Yuki is too young we want to wait a little bit before we breed the two but everyone is worried that the male will be seriously hurt before we do. Is there a way to prevent the attacks or at least keep him safe before breeding him? I need the answer as soon as possible! ^ ^
Thank you,
Sandra.

Asked by Yuki on Oct 6th 2013 Tagged unneutered, cats, male, kitten, attacks, attack, yuki, as, soon, possible, neutering, male, female, mate, hurt, injuries, owner, breed, yuki, outdoors, street in Health & Safety

Answers

Nicholas

Hi Sandra...may I ask why you are mating Yuki? There is such an incredible over population of unwanted cats and overflowing shelters. Rescues can't keep up. If there are female stray cats outside, then the male is probably already breeding and adding to the population problem. I voluteer at our local shelter and some cats can stay will us in a cage for a year or more!! I certainly don't mean to judge but please consider this. All cats should be spayed or neutered. Additonally, an indoor cat will live 5-8 yrs longer than an outdoor cat. Best of luck, Sandra!

Nicholas answered on 10/9/13. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 2 Report this answer

Marlin Purrkins

Hi Sandra!
Yuki is adorable! Personally I would NOT want to breed my female to a cat who has been running amok outdoors! He certainly could have been exposed to many diseases that could be transmitted to Yuki during breeding.
Neutering the outdoor male probably will not stop the attacks by the other street cats - this is a territorial issue and they perceive him as an intruder. If he is a purebred cat worthy of being considered for breeding, he should be kept indoors and away from harm.
If you are intent on breeding Yuki (I see that she is purebred from a breeder), why don't you seek a responsible breeder who has available stud cats? This would help curtail possible exposure to serious disease for Yuki AND you would have kittens who are registrable making them easier to find homes for.
Good luck!!

Marlin Purrkins answered on 10/14/13. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer