Durga

Possible reasons for missing the litter box?

I have a 7 year old only cat, with claws. Her litter box has been in the same spot for about 4 years. Because it sits on the hardwood floor I've always had a rubber mat beneath it. The last couple of years I also added a plastic trash bag between the box and wall to help catch stray litter pieces. Recently I changed litter from clay to world's best litter because of dust. Once before I changed and a couple of times after I have found poo on the side of the box or fallen over the side. Most recently, between the box and wall, I started to find a little bit of wet litter, and just tonight found a little bit of urine mixed with a bit of litter. It's possible this is been going on longer then I think. I attributed some discoloration in the floor to the buildup of clay dust, but it could be caused by urine. Maybe it's as simple as changing the litter back, but I'm not sure if it's a behavior issue or I just need a box with a taller side. Nothing else has changed. She does use the litter.

Asked by Durga on Jun 26th 2014 Tagged litter, urine, litterbox in Urine Marking & House Soiling

Answers

Okay, wash the rubber mat in the dishwasher and move everything out of the area. Scrub the entire litter area with a pet anti-pheromone odor remover, because dogs and cats will tend to soil in the same area once they smell their own urine. If your cat has been doing this for awhile, the pee may be in the floors permanently. After that, move everything back and change the litter back to what it was before. Then, place the short side of the box up against the wall instead of the long side. Sometimes, cats get lazy and don't check where they're aiming, and rotating the box will solve that problem. Also, scoop out the box at least once a day to see of this all helps. I have noticed that my boy cats are more prone to missing the box when they pee than the girls are. ^_^