PLEASE HELP! Biting cat

About two years ago my husband and I adopted an orange Tabby. He is now two, and when we adopted him he was clearly scared and traumatized. Once we brought him home he quickly warmed to us and he now follows us around like a dog. I am home a lot, so I know he doesn't get lonely. We play with him a TON and give him lots of attention. Overall, he is a very loved and well cared for cat. Lately though (lasts 6 months or so) he has been biting me. I will be sitting on the couch and he will just walk up and bite my feet. I will say "OUCH" and move, but then he will bite my legs, and so on. I have tried everything and nothings has worked so far to get him to stop. He will to this for hours...all day sometimes. He doesn't do it to my husband though, just me. Please help! Also, he has been fixed, so I don't think he's trying to do anything related to that....its just getting so tiring...

Asked by Member 1176481 on Jun 21st 2013 in Other Behavior & Training

Answers

I think he's bored and trying to play with you. Cat's can learn NO, a firm NO with a clap of your hands. Then play with a wand toy with a feather to let him know that you can play this way, but hands and other body parts are off limits. My daughter's cat jumps at her leg all the time to get her to play. A laser pointer is a great way to wear them out, and other cat toys, da bird, etc. A cat tree is a good investment too, give him something to run up and down and a nice window to look out of. Have you thought about a second cat? They never get bored when they have a playmate! Please seriously consider that but if you do PLEASE do not just throw them together, cat intros have to be done very slowly or all hell WILL break loose. He will likely be less than thrilled at first, but may come to love having the company of another cat. It may save your legs!!! :)