Piggy,18 months old, died suddenly. i cannot begin to imagaine what happened, has to be heart or stroke. she jumped onto

HELP my sweet girl, Piggy, is 18 months old. Last night out of the blue she passed away. i cannot begin to imagaine what happened. she jumped onto the counter, flopped over wheezing and then passed, all within minutes. She was completely healthy and fit, although was quite small for her age. My husband did CPR but could not help her. We have 3 other kitties so I worry about them.

Asked by Member 1150323 on Jan 16th 2013 in Health & Wellness

Answers

We are so very sorry for your loss. It's difficult enough when you have elderly animals, but to lose one so young is even more traumatic. We lost our Golden Retriever the same way. She was only 6 years old and just collapsed. The last thing you should do is feel guilty or blame yourself. The only way to be certain why Piggy died is to have her autopsied and that's very expensive. Vets are wonderful at counselling grief-stricken pet owners. If you are concerned that what Piggy had may be contagious, or if your cats are siblings and you're concerned that what claimed Piggy may be congenital, at least call your vet. They can suggest doing a "well-kitty" exam on the other 3. Even without an autopsy on Piggy, by chatting with you they may be able to spot something in what you say about Piggy's behavior during her last days. We send purrs and hugs.

The main contagious thing I would be concerned about is heart worms. I had a 5 week old kitten do something similar and it was determined that he probably had a stroke because his eyes were completely dilated.

Heart worms can kill a cat with little or no warning. Usually cats only get this if they had another problem that weakened their immune system. So even if this was the case for Piggy it doesn't mean your other cats will have it. However, I would personally get the remaining cats checked for feline aids/leukemia and heart worms.