Pet Service cremated my friend's cat without notification so she could have their offered service or viewing.

After having her cat for over 20 years, having her pass away was a very traumatic experience for my friend. To start out with, the service she went to refused to even take the cat until they got their fee up front. Then they were supposed to arrange a date for the cremation and perform pet service, viewing, etc. What they did instead was cremate her and then call this morning to ask when was she going to come by and pick up the ashes. Needless to say this absolutely devastated her and was adding insult to injury. What if anything can we do about these people and what organizations can we report their business to? By not allowing viewing, she is not even sure it was her cat they cremated. Any helpful advice is appreciated.

Asked by Member 861864 on Jul 29th 2009 Tagged petcremation, viewing, services in Laws & Legislation

Answers

I'm so sorry for your friend's loss and the unnecessary additional trauma she went through. You can report this company to the Better Business Bureau and the Chamber of Commerce in your town. If you have time, you can also write a (form) letter to each vet in the phone book (including your friend's vet) and explain what this company did, suggesting that if they use this company's services they may want to reconsider. You can also notify local television stations and ask if they want to do a "human interest" story on her experience. Again, my sympathies to your friend.