Padding on Paw, swollen and red?

The pad on my cat's paw is swollen and red. It looks as though the top skin has come off. Is there anything I can do before taking her to the vet?

Asked by Member 925454 on Nov 30th 2009 in Other Health & Wellness

Answers

Freckles (1993-2011)

I think you just have to take her to the vet and this sounds fairly serious and unlikely to get better on its own. It counds like she either has an injury, a bad infection or was bitten by a poisonous spider. The vet should be able to tell what's going on from an exam and get you antibiotics or other treatment based on their diagnosis. I wouldn't wait as this type of injury is just likely to get worse and more expensive to treat if you try to wait and see.

Freckles (1993-2011) answered on 11/30/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Blaze

I agree with Freckles. Don't mess around with home remedies for this. Paws dig in litterboxes and litterboxes have bacteria. My Blaze had a bloody cut on her foot and I just cleaned it up and put some antibiotic ointment on it. She seemed fine for a week and then it abcessed and she was bleeding all over the house and limping in so much pain. The vet said it was a hole straight through her paw and that one of the others must have bitten her foot. $200 for treating the abcess, a shot of pain medicine and for some Clavamox she had to take at home and 2 weeks later she is good as new. Initially it didn't look serious enough to warrant t trip to the vet but at that point if she had started on the Clavamox we could have avoided the bigger bill and avoided me feeling like a bad Mom.

Blaze answered on 12/1/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

You need to go to the vet. It is an injury as the other members suggested OR it could be an auto-immune disease a few of our cats have gotten. The pads get cracked and bleed; they need to get a steroid shot (DepoMedrol) to calm the immune system's response to that area. If bad enough and/or secondary infection has occurred due to open wounds, bandaging and restricted activity may be necessary until it has healed sufficiently. And this probably is not a permanent fix; some cats may need a shot every 4-6 months. Fortunately, that is inexpensive.