Dippy

Overweight cat?

My spayed female cat is 1 12 years old and she weighs 10.2 lbs. Should I put her on a diet?

Asked by Dippy on Jan 9th 2013 in Food & Nutrition

Best Answer

It's really impossible for us to tell if your cat is truly overweight. And, in winter, we all tend to "put on a few", animals and humans alike. However, you can get a general idea of if she's Ok weight wise by standing over her and looking down at her back. A cat who's just right should have a nice hourglass shape with no "love handles". One of my daughter's cats had hanging folds of skin on her belly, but Cleo wasn't overweight, so that's not a gauge. If you stroke her sides, you should be able to feel her ribs with just a covering of skin and fat. I have to say that when Izzie was that age, he weighed about 15 lbs. As he's a Maine Coon mix, that was normal for him. I truly wouldn't assume she's overweight and start tinkering with her diet without the advice of a vet. Cats are such fussy eaters, she may turn her nose up at the "new" diet and then you'd have more issues. May sure she's kept active by playing with her, perhaps purchasing a carpeted "cat tree" for climbing, etc.

Izadore (Izzie) answered on Jan 10th.

There Are No Other Answers