Overly aggressive player with a bit of a mean streak...what should I do?

I have 4 cats in my home, 2 females and 2 males. My females are older (10 and 6) and my males are almost a year. All neutered and indoors.

One of my males, Hannibal, really plays rough. He bites and slaps the other cats. The other male can take it but the ladies don't like it very much (they hate him). Most of the time the girls tip toe through the house so they don't draw his attention.

I'm worried about him and them. Any suggestion are appreciated.

Asked by Member 1154174 on Feb 8th 2013 Tagged aggressive, mean, male, female, help, bite, slap, dominant, wild in Behavior & Training

Answers

There is usually an "alpha" or leader of the pack when you have more than one. It sounds like even though Hannibal is young, he's already establishing himself as this alpha. However, ultimately, YOU are the real alpha of your pack. If the other cats won't do it, then you have to correct Hannibal and teach him that the way he plays is not acceptable. Eventually, he may turn his rough play on a child or an older person. Spend as much time as you can playing with the cats. Use hands-off toys like a feather "teaser" on a pole or even teach them to play fetch. When Hannibal gets rough, separate him from the other cats and put him in a "time-out" in a room for a few minutes. When the 2 males mix it up, tape a few pennies in a soda can and shake it at them, saying (not shrieking) "NO!" The other male has to learn that although he can take Hannibal's rough play, it's NOT acceptable. If you train him now, he'll learn what you expect of him. The longer it goes on, the more he'll think it's OK.