Our new cat is very aggressive towards our old cat we had before her. Any ideas as to why?

We recently took in a cat who we found starved and in need of a loving home. We took her to the vet and had her tested for everything under the sun and she has gotten all of her shots. After two weeks if isolation in our house we let the two meet. At first it was the normal hissing and growling, and was fine until a few hours later. The new cat started stalking our other cat and hissing and growling at her when she used her own cat box or ate from her own food dish. And each time afterwards the new cat attacked the old cat when she was done. I just seperated them and keep them occupied from each other, but it doesn't stop. Our old cat is scared and hides now when the new cat is out. And when I go to separate them the new cat will growl and hiss at me and sometimes redirect the aggression at me. I'm really looking for some help. I don't know what to do anymore. I have taken several people's advice and it's not working. Any help would be amazing. Thanks!

Asked by Member 1153291 on Feb 2nd 2013 Tagged newcataggressionhelp in Aggression

Answers

It's disheartening when you try to do the right thing, as you've done by taking this poor cat into your home, and it backfires on you. Since you don't know the new cat's history, it's possible that she is still in "stray" mode and used to fighting for every morsel of food and perhaps protecting kittens she may have had. It's a rough life for stray animals. It's violent, predatory, uncertain and usually a short life as well. I feel sorry for your old cat since she did nothing to deserve this and you've done all you can to ease the new cat into her life. You don't want to endanger her and older animals' reactions can be slow. Since you have a relationship with a vet, you may want to go to the "authority", so to speak and talk to them, as professionals, to see what they suggest. There are anti-anxiety medications she can be on and most vets now are affiliated with animal behaviorists who can also make suggestions. Good luck!