our momma cat has a 4 week old kitten. momma has gone into heat. our male was fixed 2 weeks ago but is trying to mate wi

I plan to ask my vet today .our male is trying to mate with momma cat. Can he get her pregnant? Will her milk dry up if he does mate with her? Will her milk dry up if she gets pregnant? They are inside cats, and we are trying to keep them separated.She had 2 kittens and 1 died after 3 days.

Asked by Member 1076071 on Dec 7th 2011 in The Catster Website

Answers

It's possible that your neutered male still has viable sperm and if your female is in heat, she's all for a romantic encounter. They will do everything they can to get together. It's not just the male. The female will want to mate also. They're programmed for "propagation of the species" and they don't realize how many thousands of unwanted and homeless cats and kittens are euthanized each day. I don't believe that, as long as the female is nursing, she will continue to produce milk even if pregnant, but I could be wrong. I would seriously fear for the safety of the little kitten,though. He could be severely imjured or even killed if your male and female start mating. There're no candles and flowers during the process, cat mating is pretty nasty. The only way you can keep them separated for sure is to either put mom and baby in a dog crate with a litter box and food, or put her in a room and keep the door tightly closed. If it were me,I would call my vet and ask for their help as well.

Separate them as best you can. Four week old kittens should only be with Momcat and their siblings because of immunity isues. Immunity is, as far as I know, only established by the second round of vaccinations at age three months. Male cats may have only a friendly interest in the kittens, but even this can cause Momcat to hide or abandom her babies. I don't know about the pregnacy issue--ask your vet.