Foodbar

Our kitty, Foodbar,has stinky poops and gets mad when you touch his tummy. Should we worry?

We don't really know if he has always hated his tummy being touched or not. He doesn't yowl or make a huge deal, but he will bite and kick you away with a single, powerful foot. We're thinking of taking him to the vet, but he does hate it so. Has anyone had a similar experience?

Asked by Foodbar on Aug 24th 2010 Tagged stinky, stomach in Senior Pet

Answers

Just last week I took my cat to the vet because he was acting lethargic. When the vet touched his stomach he cried. Found out he has a "raging" urinary tract infection and is being treated with antibiotics. He also has had diarrhea (very smelly) which could be unrealted or from the antibiotics. You should take your cat to the vet because he may have something going on, or he may need to be put on a special diet. Maybe he has irritable bowel. This could cause smelly stools. Call your veterinarian and make an appointment. You will be doing your cat and yourself a favor! Hope kitty feels better soon.

You should take him to the vet's if you suspect anything is not right with him. However, Izzie can clear a room with his poops--they can be eye-watering if you happen to be near the litter box. If you've ever taken a good whiff of their canned food, it's obvious why they have such smelly dumps. And, I have to tell you that 99% of the cats I've seen don't like to have their tummies touched. They will do the "bicycle kick" with their back legs, usually claws out. Izzie will only occasionally let me rub his tummy and only if he's feeling really mellow. Cat don't like to be on their backs and have their tummies touched.

Edgrrr

This sounds like coccidiosis or another sort of internal infection that needs to be treated by a vet. As I am "late to the party" with my reply, I can only hope Foodbar is feeling better by now. While many of us are not in the best of financial circumstances, we often try to put off non-emergent expenses, such as vet visits for "well checks" or shots, but whenever you have a pet that is not acting normally & is obviously showing signs of illness (stinky poop, smelly breath, yowling when urinating, etc.), you should see that as an emergency & get that kitty to the vet right away. If you have an established relationship with a vet, they will often make some sort of billing deal with you for an emergency visit. As a pet owner, you took on the mantle of being responsible for the wellbeing of your pets, & by not getting them seen right away in a situation like this, you are literally playing with their lives. Cats don't like to leave home, but they do like living. Get to a vet!

Edgrrr answered on 12/17/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer