Our cats are fighting when we leave them home alone, but not when we're home...

I have 3 cats at home. 2 of them have gotten along fine for years, but they started fighting within the last few months. It all started after one of the cats had dental surgery and then when he came home smelling different the other cat attacked him. They never fought once before that. It's better now than it was because they don't fight at all when we're home. However, if we leave them home alone together for even an hour or two, they get into huge scraps (blood and hair). How can we get them to get along when we're not home? Why are they fighting when we're away, but not when we're home? The night before their last fight, they were cuddling on the couch and grooming each other. The next day we left them alone for 1 hour and they got into a huge scrap while we were gone. I just want things to be like they used to be. I don't like separating them every time we leave the house. One of the cats is on anti-anxiety medication and we have tried Feliway and it didn't seem to help. Thanks!

Asked by Member 1165817 on Apr 24th 2013 in Aggression

Answers

Whenever there is a sudden change in behavior such as what you have observed, it's time to at least call the vet. It's possible there's a stray outside and when you're gone, the cats are trying to prove to each other who's the boss. Because there is blood-letting and fur-flying, this is serious. You may HAVE to separate them when you're gone just to keep them safe. Feliway is not a tranquilizer. It's original use as I understand it, was to attract cats to the litter box. I've had no success with it either. It may be time for your cat to have his medication checked to make sure it's still working. And, if he had dental surgery, it's possible he may have a residual infection and not be feeling well. Do check with your vet...and let us know how it's going. We send purrs.