Our cat will be treated with radioiodine for a hyperthroid condition and we were told to use flushable cat litter until

the radioactivity subsides, about 2-3 weeks, but we have an outside sump pump with a grinder. Do we dare use the flushable ltter and put it down the toliet. The only other option is to store dirty litter outside, away from house for at least 5 weeks. Since we have 3 cats that will be a bit of litter after 5 weeks.

Asked by Member 1001432 on Aug 21st 2010 in Pet Products

Answers

I don't understand why your vet would have told you to use flushable cat litter due to your cat's being treated with radioactive iodine. You certainly don't want to contaminate the environment. My advice is to double bag the cat litter and throw it out with the trash, not down the toilet. You certainly wouldn't store it away from the house (as you mentioned) because here again, it will contaminate the environment. Maybe you will get some better answers from other posters who have possibly gone through this in the past. Hope your kitty gets better soon!

Chelsea

Chelsea was supposed to have the Radiocat treatment recently and they do recommend the World's Best Cat Litter which is made of corn and is flushable. I have 7 cats so that was going to be a huge task. However, the cat's urine doesn't stay radioactive that long. I am thinking I was told it was 2 weeks that you have to dispose of it that way but I could be wrong. I have town sewer but I was still concerned that it did seem odd to send the radioactive litter out there into the environment. But it isn't that radioactive by the time they let you bring the cat home, most has passed. Personally, I was planning on just throwing it in the trash like I normally do. But then we found out Chelsea had been misdiagnosed and she didn't need the treatment after all. Thank goodness Radiocat ordered a bunch of additional tests before I did that to her.

Chelsea answered on 8/21/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

gracie tatanka

i dont know what the situation is where you live but here if there is any radio active material due to either human or animal medical treatments you are encouraged to take it to the larger hospitals in your area dealing with cancers and they will dispose of the waste with there own radioactive waste. perhaps if you contact your local hospital and ask them if this is possible for you? best of luck and take care

gracie tatanka answered on 10/15/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer