Our 6 month old kitten has gotten downright mean with any family members who come to visit us.

We adopted him from a shelter when he was 5 weeks old. The people he is getting mean to are people he has seen EVERY weekend since we got him: my brother, his wife and 2 kids, ages 9&6. He hisses and bites at the kids. My nephew even stayed over for a week when we first got him, so he knows these folks. He has gotten to the point that he will not tolerate ANY contact with the kids, and it frustrates the kids. He will barely allow me or my mother to pet him for more than a few seconds, and we live with him and take care of him. When we first got him you could hold and cuddle him for hours on end.Now he gives you a couple of seconds then tries to bite you. Once or twice while holding him he just reached down and bit my arm HARD, drawing a little blood on a couple of occasions. He has been neutered, and we had to get him declawed, because he was too mean to clip his nails. Is there anything that can be done about his behavior? If he doesn't change we may have to give him up. Any help?

Asked by Member 1193159 on Oct 6th 2013 in Behavior & Training

Answers

Declawing a cat and then giving it up is CRUEL. You are mandating behavior from an animal, not a human. If you know that this cat is not good with children, then keep him in a bedroom while they are over. By being overaffectionate, he turned the other way... personalities are unique and you need to respect that. When he bites, say "OUCH!" really loud, and he will get the message that something is wrong. Did you think that this is his territory now, and that guests make him territorial and jealous? Use calming spray in areas he hangs out in to relax him. Play peaceful music, give treats and toys, buy him a cat condo and make him feel WELCOME again. Cats easily pick up on human emotions, and he clearly does not like what he is feeling from your family. Love him unconditionally and his behavior will improve in time. ^_^