Maxine

One- week old Kittens

I need help!!! My husband found 5 kittens-I'd say only a week old-in a hay baler so they had to be moved. Mom was nowhere to be found and they appear to have been well taken care of. Two of them have problems eating and get little when they do eat. Using an eye dropper. Running out of time, don't want the poor things to starve!! Any suggestions?

Asked by Maxine on Sep 22nd 2008 Tagged eating, nursing in Food & Nutrition

Best Answer

Tabby

Hi,
Thanks for rescuing these babies. I am not sure the cat will abandon her kittens this young. So I would suggest you still keep an eye out for her in case she comes back in search of her babies. Am not sure what you are feeding them currently,.
Go to the nearest pet store and by KMR (Kitten milk replacement) to feed them.
You also need to take them to a vet. You can explain under what circumstances you found them. Some vets are considerate enough to help out.
After you feed them KMR in a feeding bottle, you need to slowing massage their bottom to pee and poo. You need to do this with a warm and wet (slightly) towel. The Mom cat usually licks their bottom to help them Pee & Poo. This towl slightly wet and warm will resemble the mom;s tongue for these babies. Check the below site.. which gives info on how to care for Orphaned kittens.
<www.petplace.com/cats/orphaned-kitten/page1.aspx>. Kindly keep us posted on the progress. If not thru this forum, paw mail me. Good luck

Tabby answered on Sep 22nd.

Answers

You can also contact your local animal shelters and rescue groups to see if they have any nursing females for the kittens. But, I agree. It's labor intensive because you'll have to watch continuously, but make sure the kittens are truly abandoned before you try to help out.