Kitty Kitty

One of our cats becomes very carsick and stressed every time we have to put her in the car for a vet visit.

Is there any kind of medicine or a way to make her feel calm and comfortable while she travels in the car? She ends up being a mess, usually, so we don't let her travel much at all.

Asked by Kitty Kitty on Sep 10th 2008 Tagged carsick, travel, cats in Car Travel

Answers

BooBoo

If she is truly car sick your best bet would be to fast her for the night before going to the vet. If she is just petrified I would try some desensitization. First just put her in the carrier for a few minutes. Increase the time until she is comfortable in the carrier. Then carry her out to the car and put her in, increase that time. Once she is comfortable with that you can start driving. Start with only pulling out of the driveway then back in, increase the distance and always come back home.

BooBoo answered on 9/11/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 3 Report this answer

Cherry

Hi,
BooBoo has given some very good advice there. My cat is also car sick and she poops atleast 3 or 4 times before we reach the Vet's clinic. She is a mess when she comes back home again. But I tried all that. I tried driving small distances and always take her to a place she likes like a park, or back home. Not just to the Vet's place and she is still scared that she does it everytime. I researched a lot about this and found out that the cause of motion sickness is stimulation of the vestibular apparatus located within the inner ear. When this apparatus is stimulated, your pet feels dizzy and nausea may develop. Usually, the signs of motion sickness stop when the vehicle stops moving.Pets afflicted with motion sickness begin drooling, feel nauseated and may even develop vomiting or diarrhea. For cats like mine, i had to resort to medications from the Vet as she cannot be conditioned for travel.Try conditioning your cat first and then if that does work then ask your vet for medicine.

Cherry answered on 9/11/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 3 Report this answer

Greta (now in kitty heaven)

Mama used to have a cat who got car sick . His vet said to give him dramamine, but only a little bit, like 1/4 of the pill.

I'm an experienced car rider..been riding ever since I was 5 weeks old....my very first trip was to my furrever home and that was a 3 hour ride. Me and my late brofur rode together and we were so quiet....but then again we were also sick. That meant more riding as in trips to the vet.
Once we got to feeling and doing better we started complaining about rides. We also began taking 5 hour rides to Gamma's house, along with mama. My late brofur often pooped in the carrier, and that led to mama having to clean up a mess. (I never pooped while riding then or now.) Aside from that, the only other thing we do (and did) is cry for the first 90 minutes and then we settled down.

Mama now uses something called MotionEaze. It's for humans but also safe enough for pets.

Greta (now in kitty heaven) answered on 9/11/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Rosebud

Well I have never been in a car before but my kitty mommy has and she said she was put in a cage thing called a cenal?? and she didnt like that either but I think you should let your kitty see out the window so she can watch the birdies and stuff to keep her mind of of the fact that she is in a car.
Try it and tell me if it works

- Rosebud

Rosebud answered on 9/14/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 2 Report this answer

China

You might try some Feliway spray. Feliway smells to cats the way that something smells when they have rubbed their face on it. It smells like "It's okay here...it smells like it's safe here." (You can also get it in a plug-in diffuser, and it helps my very-shy cat be more confident and social.) You spray the spray in the carrier 15 minutes before the cat goes in it, and she feels less stressed.

China answered on 10/3/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 2 Report this answer