Ninazu (aka Nizzy)

One of my cats, nizzy continuously poops outside the litter box. I mean he gets in it, but then hangs his but over the e

Asked by Ninazu (aka Nizzy) on Mar 25th 2013 Tagged pooprghtnxttolitterboxwhileinit in Other Behavior & Training

Answers

Because cats don't have "rear-view" camera like some of the cars nowadays, they can't always tell where their backsides are. Izzie is 19lbs., much too big for a regular size box, and bigger boxes are usually deeper and not longer (and expensive!) A friend who volunteered with me in animal rescue purchased thos large Rubbermaid "underbed" storage boxes, available at Wal-Mart, Target, etc. I've used one of those for my cats since forever. The do have regular boxes, but all 3 prefer the larger, longer one. Yes, it does take more litter, but I've noticed there is less litter outside the box and no "hang-over" mistakes. I put about 2 inches of litter in it. It's worked for me--try it for Nizzy as well and see if he's a little more successful during his potty breaks.