One more question. I can't figure out what to feed the 2 cats I was given. They're probably 2 or 3 years old.

There are no vets available. I've tried fish, chicken, rice, potatoes, even dry cat food. Getting the dry food is not an easy accomplishment, and they don't really like it anyway. They grab at the chicken and fish, but drop it uneaten outside of the food dish. They will drink milk and eat eggs, but is that good for them on a daily basis?

Asked by Member 850549 on Mar 5th 2010 in Other Food & Nutrition

Answers

Spike

Become a Catster member and participate in the food forums--they will give you LOTS of information. There are no vets available? Where do you live? I am not being critical--I'm simply curious. Food questions are the number one topic on Catster--followed by what happens to the digested food when it exits. There are many camps. Those who feed kibble. Those who prefer wet food for their kitties. Those who feed raw food. Those who are enthusiastic about so-called premium food. All of us--Humans and cats--are different. Anyway, to get back to your question, Everycat needs a nutritionally balanced food. One thing they need is Taurine--and the raw food people will tell you all about how to give your cats a balanced diet. Sorry to tell you, but a diet of just chicken, fish, and eggs is not going to work. I myself feed my cats Science Diet--which is scorned by foodies, but has the vitamins and nutrients that cats need. Join the food forums and learn. Good luck!

Spike answered on 3/5/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Where do you live that there are no vets available? We are not vets here, but the best advice I can give you is to feed these cats a good dry and canned cat food. Stop feeding them human food! STOP FEEDING THEM EGS AND MILK!!!! Milk can actually kill a cat, especially one that is 2 or 3 years old. It can cause pancreatitis and many cats get so sick they stop eating and die. Some cats are also allergic to milk, or have trouble digesting it - just like humans. Find a good premium cat food that is high in protein - Wellness is a good one if you can afford it. Otherwise, Purina One (which can be purchased at any grocery store) would be my next choice if you want to save money. Good luck with the kitties.