O'Malley

O'malley always paws at his water bowl and manages to spill it does anyone else have this problem?

he always spills some of his water on the floor on purpose. has anyone else had to deal with this before and have any advice for me? like for example what kind of water bowl I need to get that he won't be able to tip over

Asked by O'Malley on Mar 20th 2014 Tagged water, bowls in Other Behavior & Training

Answers

Velcro

I got a plastic sweater box with a lid that's about 1 inch deep. I turned the lid upside down on the floor and put heavy glass punch bowls that I got from Goodwill store in the lid for water bowls. The bowls are too heavy to tip over and if the cats splash water out of the bowls when they paw at the water, the upside down box lid contains the mess so it doesn't get on the floor.

Velcro answered on 3/24/14. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

My cats drink out of a large ceramic bowl that is too heavy for them to spill. My dog drinks out of a bowl called spill-less that has a plastic lip on the top to discourage spilling. Cats are little lions and it is instinctual for them to see how deep the water is and then look out and not face a wall- there will be less spilling if he can walk around the bowl. This is normal; he is not conscious of making a mess and is just being catlike... ^_^

Olivia Aoife

Olivia has always loved water. when she drinks from her fountain, she sticks her feet in it, then laps the water off her toes.

at one point, I had thought that the fountain had a leak - I came home from work and there was water all over the floor. I set up the fountain in the sink, so that I could monitor it and see if I could figure out the leak. one night, I was sitting on the couch, and I heard this sound (like when your fingers get all waterlogged, then squeak as you rub them on something). I looked over the arm of the couch and back into the kitchen, and Olivia's butt was sticking out of the sink, and she was "digging" her water out of the fountain.
since then, I have had the fountain(s) in disposable roasting pans, so if she continues to do it (which she does sometimes), it catches is and keeps it from being a mess. not super pretty, but the fountain fits in the pan, and prevents a mess. and it's pretty funny.

Olivia Aoife answered on 4/10/14. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer