Older cat with uncontrollable diarrhea. HELP!?!

My grandmother's beloved cat, Stripes is 16 years old. He has uncontrollable diarrhea. She has taken him to the vet many many times. They don't have any answers & just want to keep doing tests. All the tests that they have done have came back normal. Basically the vet is stumped. Poor Stripes has been like this since June & we still haven't figured it out. Everyone here is our last resort. We just don't know what to do! I'm thinking that it might be a possible food allegry. Did your cat go thru the same thing? Any tips at all? Please help me figure this out. It's breaking my heart. Thank you!

Asked by Member 584623 on Sep 30th 2010 in Health & Wellness

Answers

Because there can be so very many causes of diarrhea in cats, from a food allergy to cancer, her vet is trying to eliminate each possible cause. That's why they are doing so many tests. They're looking for the one test that comes back positive for whatever it is so they can treat it. But, almost 4 months is a long time for even chronic diarrhea. Is the cat sick in other ways? Or, is he normal except for the diarrhea? A vet will usually recommend a high fiber special diet. You may consider a veterinary specialty clinic. They can be free-standing or part of a local college. Your vet may know of one. But, they will do tests also. You should have a serious chat with his vet and ask if there is anyway to control the diarrhea while the tests are being done,perhaps with diet, special supplements, etc. Ask about a referral to a specialty clinic. Good luck and we'll say a prayer to St. Francis for the little old guy. Please let us know how he's doing. We care!

gracie tatanka

continue with the tests and as the previous ans said try for a specialist in the meantime have you tried slippery elm? its very good in helping to control cases of chronic diarrhea it wont cure the problem but it might give stripes a little bit of relief until your vet can identify exactly whats up.good luck and let us know how you get on.

gracie tatanka answered on 10/1/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Mr. Big (Angel)

*Sigh.* I hate to put you down but I'm afraid it's a bad sign. Every older cat I've known had diahhrea before death, and that includes my old cat Mr. Big. He was 16 when he died and it was very sad. He had diahhrea before this happened. This may not be the case, but it could be. But for it to be happening for this long, you may need to do some research. You may also need to check out some even more advanced veternarians, and see if they have any ideas.

Mr. Big (Angel) answered on 10/1/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer