Non-social siamese is now peeing on couch. How do I get her to stop?

We adopted a siamese about a year or more ago. We had 2 other cats and 2 small dogs. She was nice until she became an adolescent. She has clawed holes under the box spring and spends all of her time up in there. She gets along with the other cats, laying with them and rubbing on them. She doesn't have a big problem with the dogs, they only sometimes chase the cats. If she's on the bed, she runs away if I (or anyone) enter the room, but she's getting more comfortable with it just as long as I don't get close. If I'm in the living room watching tv, she will come out from the bed and watch me from the doorway. She's started peeing on the pile of dog toys in the living room and is now peeing on the couch. Today she peed on my bed. I've tried "no-go" sprays, but they don't work, and I can't have her peeing on the furniture anymore. We have one big litter box in the laundry room and it is often cleaned, so I don't imagine her having a problem with that. What do I do?

Asked by Member 1118083 on Jun 28th 2012 Tagged siamese, urine, scared, hiding, underbed, nonsocial in Urine Marking & House Soiling

Answers

Your first course of action is to take this cat into the vet for a urine test. When a cat has a bladder infection, it can't control it's urinating. If that's negative, try putting out more litter boxes. I have 3 cats and 2 very large boxes than I clean every day and scrub/change litter once a week. Some cats don't like to share a box. It's like using a public toilet where someone hasn't flushed. Anywhere she pees has to be laundered or scrubbed with bleach or if that's not possible with an enzymatic cleaner like "Nature's Miracle". She will return to the same spot if she detects her odor there. Make sure none of the other animals is harrassing her. That can add to the hiding/inappropriate elimination behavior. Finally, you can ask your vet if they think a short course of anti-anxiety meds and some behavior modification might work--as I said, more litter boxes, more play times with her humans, etc.

Ramsey

I had a similar problem and I will tell you as briefly as possible how it was resolved. Our male Snowshoe began peeing on the sofa out of the blue for no reason. Had 1 other cat at the time so I had 3 litter boxes so I knew that was not the problem. Had 2 dogs, 1 was newish to the household. Had him about 3 weeks. New puppy was being housetrained so he went out first thing in the am so the cat's routine had changed. Usually he got attention first thing in am. I tried *everything* Seriously. Finally I bought the Feliway diffuser. I gave the cat a pet on the way out the door with the dog and had the diffuser plugged in. Within 2 weeks the urination on the sofa stopped. It's been 2 years and no accidents and I still use the Feliway because it evens out his temper. I also now have 4 cats. I will never be without Feliway again.

Ramsey answered on 6/29/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer