Felix

New cat too aggressive/dominant for other two cats?

Hi, we have a 5 year old male, neutered cat named Sam who, while not the most sociable of cats, tolerates our other neutered cat, Felix, who is about 3. Sam is alpha, but loves us humans. Felix loves to be held and lay on your lap, and loves to play with toys and run, but is not overly active.
We recently adopted a male cat(also neutered), 1 yr 6 months. The foster mother told me that he might try to see where he is on the pecking order, but that otherwise his personality should match Felix's. Well, she was wrong. At first, he would chase and tackle Felix, but Felix would attempt to chase and tackle back. Over the past few weeks, however, Oliver has become more and more aggressive. He will be grooming Felix and randomly attack his throat until Felix cries out and runs away, with Oliver chasing him. As of yesterday, he's started to pin down and bite Sam, causing cat fights. Should he be given back? She said we could bring him back any time. Spray bottle and saying NO does nothing :(

Asked by Felix on Aug 27th 2013 Tagged aggression, dominance, malecat, malecats, fighting in Behavior & Training

Answers

Bring him back for a girl. Trust me, adopting a cat of the opposite sex does not cause the same drama as same sex. I have four: a 14 1/2 year old male, a very territorial 7 1/2 year old male, a 7 year old 20 lb. female scaredy cat, and a new six week old female tortie kitten from a rescue. The girl cat is scared but likes her, the oldest male licked her head and all will hiss occasionally b/c the new one has no fear and wants to play, and the cat who might have been a problem made Cujo noises. I had never heard anything like it, but she did not have to be separated until I was bringing in groceries. It's less than three days after I adopted her, and the hissing has subsided dramatically. She was out with them all day no problem, taking over while inspiring their curiosity. KNOWING your animals and what they will react to is half the battle. There is no harm in surrendering if it is the right decision and will save your boys from suffering. Then you can get a sweet spayed girl!