New cat is unhappy, very afraid, won't eat, drink, hasn't used litter

My partner and I adopted a new exotic short hair yesterday who is 11 months old - she was sent to us via plane and since she's been here she has been terrified. There have been a couple of incidents where she hid in dangerous spots that we had to quickly get her out of, so this has made the matter worse. She hasn't had any food or water (I am very concerned about dehydration considering she's been on a plane) and is sitting in our bath tub. I've noticed her heart has been beating fast and she has occasionally been shaking because she is scared. We have put everything she needs in our small bathroom as she seems to want to stay in there. She seems to be ok with being picked up and cuddled but wants to go back into hiding after. The breeder advised us to handle her a lot but I don't know if this is the right thing to do - at the same time though, I don't want her to feel abandoned by her previous house hold and also feel like we don't love her. When should I worry RE: the no food/water?

Asked by Member 1197313 on Nov 2nd 2013 Tagged food, depression, water, adoption in Bringing Your Pet Home

Answers

A few things: shipping an animal via a cargo plane is a very scary experience for a pampered housecat. It's probably the most traumatic thing she's ever encountered. Next, you should have cat-proofed before the new cat came home. Complete the process while she's in the bathroom. She feels safe in there, but after a couple of days keep the door open. You may have to force fluids, but right now she's probably in shock. Just let her come around at her own (slow) speed. She is probably used to other cats and craving feline contact, thereby becoming depressed. If she does not eat or drink you have to take her to the vet, and she will have to go on IV fluids. Check with the breeder that you are using the same food and litter so that there is no change there, and place fuzzy towels and stuffed animals around for her to snuggle with. This is why some breeders will not ship and make you come to get the animal. Good luck! ^_^