New adopted cat still shows no sign of wanting affection. Any advice on how to warm her up?

I want to know how to make my cat more lovey. She barely even allows anyone to give her a gentle head scratch.

I adopted her a little over two weeks ago. She's almost two years old and pretty petite. When it comes to her temperment, she loves loves LOVES to play but does almost anything in her power to avoid actual person to cat contact. I don't know her backstory but I'm pretty sure she was a stray taken in by a foster at a year and a half.

It didn't bother me before but one of my other roommates also got a kitten... and boy is she the sweetest thing. Within the first six hours of being in our home, that kitten loved on us at least three times more than my cat did since she's lived with us. My cat is not too enthusiastic about the kitten (kissing and growling whenever seeing or smelling the kitten) which I had expected.

It makes me so sad though seeing all of my roommates giving the kitten %100 of their affection and my cat %0.

What tips are there for warming up my cat socially?

Asked by Member 1197505 on Nov 3rd 2013 Tagged newkitten, kitten, cat, older, warmingup in Socialization

Answers

You should not be trying to make your cat into something it's not, and you haven't even given her a chance since it's been less than a month. Respect that cats, like people, have different personalities. Since she was a shelter cat you have no idea what happened to her. Her behavior toward the kitten is normal, especially since your roomie got another female which brings out territorial issues. Buy your cat a cat tree and more toys and scratchers and put them in your room. Your cat will be more stand-offish to you just from smelling the new kitten on you, so disinfect before trying to make nice with your kitty. It took Pookie years to warm up to men (because she probably was abused by one before I got her). Meow to the world, and enjoy your cat for who she is. When you get your own place, bring in a boy kitten to be her grandson, and make sure they all get neutered/spayed!! Meow to the world ^_^