baby&titan

NEED MY QUESTION ANSWERED ASAP! my maincoon is so cute but he gets annoying fast. lol

so my fiance and I just moved into are new place, we have been here for 2 days. my other to boys are fine, but my maincoon WILL NOT STOP MEOWING. is he stressed? or just talkative..

Asked by baby&titan on Jul 4th 2013 in Behavior & Training

Answers

Your cat is adjusting to a new environment. He just lost his territory and needs to get used to the new one, especially if it is smaller. Maine Coons are large and territorial, so if you do not have enough space for him now, that will be a problem. Spend extra time with him and let him acclimate to the new environment, but do not expect the adjustment to be instantaneous.

Probably stressed. Moving into a new environment is VERY stressful for a cat. I recommend putting the cat in a spare room until the cat is used to the house. If there is a window and place for the cat to sit, that will help. Let him get used to one room first and then let him slowly explore the house. At least put him up for the night. I have 2 out of my 3 cats put up in a spare room at night, otherwise they would drive me batty. Put up in a room at night, with a nice cozy bed, even if it's a bathroom, and put a fan near your bed, a loud fan, to block out the pitiful noises the cat will make at night. It may save your sanity! Also, feeding a big meal at bedtime will help the cat want to doze off to sleep. Establishing a bedtime routine will help teach the cat that nighttime is for sleeping, not playing, that is something that is not natural to them.

Fierazul

Fierazul was the same way, when he arrived to my house, he is very big and has powerful male alpha temperament, we needed several months to adopt, it helped me to understand and respect his space language, just like Richard Parker. Males define their territory with nasty behavior, but once you understand their space need and respect the agreements they are very nice and sweat.

Fierazul answered on 7/6/13. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer