Need advice on feeding new kittens.

Just brought home two 5.5 month old kittens. For the last three days they haven't finished all of the food I put down for them at their twice daily feeding. They were definitely not eating what the can said they would. This morning they asked to be fed and when I tried to prepare it they were frantic, climbing up my leg and jumping on the kitchen counter and trying to eat the food right from the can. I dont care for this behavior nor do I want them on the counter. Is there any way to teach them to wait for their food patiently? I know they were really hungry but feeding them after this behavior probably encouraged it. Any advice would be appreciated. I do not want to free feed but instead feed two to three times a day. Thanks

Asked by Member 1194476 on Oct 15th 2013 Tagged feedingtimebehavior in Noisiness

Answers

Hello. The feeding guides on the side of the bag or can are suggestions, and DAILY, not per feeding. Cats are not patient creatures (more like small lions), so don't attempt to change their nature. However, keeping a spray bottle of 1/2 water and 1/2 white vinegar (harmless- the food kind) on the counter and spraying them as a deterrent when they go up there WILL work, at least while you are home :)) ^_^