Ziva

Need advice about enucleation of my kitten.

My 6 month old kitten needs to have her left eye removed due to injury and resulting infection that happened before we adopted her. What are the pros and cons of having an implant insert that would make it look like her eye is just shut versus just having the lid sewn shut?

Asked by Ziva on Jun 21st 2014 Tagged eyeinjury, enucleation in Health & Wellness

Answers

Cali

While implants can help a lot to improve the post-op appearance of animals with larger eye sockets like dogs and horses, in cats it's such a miniscule difference and the increased risk of infection, irritation to the cat, and problems with it bulging out that are more common with cats getting those implants really don't make it seem worth the extra costs to me.

We've fostered a one-eyed black kitty before that had the basic surgery and she was cute as a button. When the surgery is done well and heals up completely it looks like they are just holding that eye shut really tight and gives the look of an extra happy, cheeky wink when their other eye is open and you can barely tell the difference when both eyes are shut, especially on black fur. Despite all their preening cats really aren't vain enough to care about how their missing eye looks. She'll be a normal, happy kitten again, just with a little less depth perception! =(~_^)=

Good luck little Ziva, purring for a swift recovery!

Cali answered on 6/24/14. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Uno

Ziva, as the first answerer says you don't need an implant. I never had an implant. Mom says I'm beautiful just the way I am, a little black one-eyed kitty just like you will soon be. Believe me, you'll feel better after you get the bad eye out. I sure did.

Uno answered on 6/25/14. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer