Sugar

Nasal polyp/tumor or upper respiratory infection?

My cat, last week and the beginning of this week, has developed a thick amount of inflamed tissue in one of her nasal passages (and has completely blocked the airway). It looks to be a polyp of some kind or even worse, possibly a tumor. The first symptoms she had last week before this polyp/tumor became visible was sneezing and noisy breathing. Now within the last 2 to 3 days she started having her nose bleed from the other nasal passage that was not blocked. Also, I noticed a greenish discharge a few times coming from the polyp/tumor. I took her to the vet yesterday and we're treating it as an upper respiratory infection, but she said it was possibility it could be a tumor and watch for improvements within the next 3 days. She also said my cat had a fever. I'm worried my cat might not have 3 days to play around with and generally I like to treat things holistically. Can someone give me detailed info on the symptoms of nasal tumors vs. an upper respiratory infection?

Asked by Sugar on Jul 9th 2008 Tagged tumor, nasal, cancer, polyp, upper, respiratory, infection, holistic, alternative, epistaxis, fever, sneezing, breathing in Other Health & Wellness

Answers

Most importantly, if you are not satisfied with your vet's diagnoses/treatment, you need to seek another opinion. If you feel your cat's condition is that serious, find a reputable emergency clinic in your area and take her there. Here in Cleveland, we have what's called a "Veterinary Referral Clinic". They treat above and beyond what general practice vets treat. Upper respiratory infections involve mostly lungs. There is wheezing, nasal drainage and general lethargy. Feline tumors, unfortunately, are usually malignant. The usual treatment is sugery and the tumors can reoccur. Polyps are a little less dire but surgery is the course of treatment for them as well. Once again, if you are not comfortable with your vet's "wait and see" attitude, then do seek another opinion. Purrs and prayers...

Cherry

Hi,
You might want to check the below link. www.petplace.com/cats/epistaxis-in-cats/page1.aspx

Cherry answered on 7/9/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Bella (In Loving Memory)

If this just appeared in her nose a week or so ago you more than likely do have a few days to try antibiotics.

Are you positive that the green discharge is coming from the growth itself and not from the sinuses and squeezing out around the growth?

If you are not satisfied with your vet please get a second opinion. Holistic medicine is great for humans, but unfortunately we have little success with it and cats at our clinic. Sometimes you have to do whats absolutely best for your pet, even if you don't like it.

Bella (In Loving Memory) answered on 7/9/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Kiwi

I'm so sorry Sugar is sick.
It can be very hard to tell a URI from something worse early on. Our Peanut had nasal lymphoma and at 1st the vets thought he had a URI, perhaps a herpes viral infection with a secondary bacterial infection.
Typically with a with a bacterial infection antibiotics will clear it up within 7-10 days. You should see some improvement as your vet mentioned in 3 or so days. If Sugar has herpes l-lysine can help prevent future outbreaks and thus help prevent a secondary infection.
Another possibility is that Sugar has something stuck in her nose, and that got infected . Since this condition came on quickly it seems like a possibility.
If Sugar does not improve soon please ask your vet for a refferal to an internal medicine specialist. They can do a endoscopy of her nasal passages if needed, or perhaps just take a biopsy of the inflamed tissue. Many things can be successfully treated if caught early enough, so knowing what you are dealing with is key

Kiwi answered on 7/9/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer