Gremlin

My Tom Cat Wont Breed!!

My baby Gremlin, love of my life, just will not breed with our Queen. She is in season at the moment, and will sit next to him making enticing (i imagine) noises, waggling her bum in his face, rolling around near him, calling at him - and nothing. He is just not interested.

I dont understand why he is showing no interest at all, he has often called himself, and has many times chased our neutered female round the house to try and wrestle her to the ground (she is never impressed!) so why won't he make it with the Queen?

He has never to my knowledge, mated before (though he has escaped a couple of times and come back looking rather bedraggled so who knows) and he seems worried when she gets excited next to him and growls playfully - is it merely inexperience, or a lost cause?

Please advise!

Asked by Gremlin on Jun 18th 2008 Tagged mating, breeding, kittens, health in Health & Wellness

Answers

Skuya

None of my business, but why would you want your cat to breed when there are so many homeless kitties? If you want kittens there are lots who need a home.
The best and kindest thing you can do for your pets or any animal you have the opportunity to help is to get him or her neutered/spayed. It's not all that expensive through programs they have when you consider the cost of raising and up-keep for a litter of kittens. One place here even has offered to come to my house trap-neuter-release, though most you have to take them in.
The life expectancy for a feral cat is only 3-5 yrs compared to a possible 20 yrs of a well-kept indoor cat. Those yrs are filled with hunger, cold and suffering from fights for territory (food sources). Your Gremlin coming back "bedraggled", assumably from procreating, is having more cats who will suffer like that.
But to answer your question, probably he is doing these private things in private.

Skuya answered on 6/19/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Sam

First of all, its completely irresponsible to let an unneutered male cat wander into the world to mate with whomever he pleases. 3 million cats and dogs get put down in shelters every year. Why would you want to contribute to that?

If you're cats are purebred and you choose to mate them, then place them in responsible homes then that's your business. But mating regular DSH or DLH cats is just contributing to the over population problem.

Not spaying or neutering your cats is dangerous to them for several reasons. It makes them more likely to escape and roam, which means they can get in fights, get hit by cars, pick up FIV or FLuke. It also puts them at higher risk for cancer and infections.

Sam answered on 6/19/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Since no one else has answered your actual question, I'll share my limited knowledge. First, I see that you live in the UK, so perhaps we should make allowances for differences regarding cat husbandry. As to your question, I once had a pair of cats, brother and sister, both altered, who would engage in mating behavior around once a month. It appeared to be a sexual rather than a dominance thing, and the male seemed to enjoy it more than the female. The female predeceased the male, and I got a new female kitten, who went into heat exceptionally early. Faced with the histrionics of real-life feline desire, the male was scared stiff. No more mating games for him. Even if your cat has had some naughty adventures outside, I would think he would respond to your queen. The fact that he doesn't could mean that he's nervous and inexperienced. Professional breeders, I understand, put their tom and queen together in a closed room for 2 days to make sure that contact has been made.