My toddler was crying high-pitched cry after hurting himself and our cat started "biting" my arm and crying, too.

The cat, a female, normally doesn't bother him much and mostly tries to avoid him which is why this behavior was so interesting. Was it a protective reaction like she was trying to tell me that my son's cry was different than normal?

Asked by Member 1023419 on Feb 15th 2011 in Cats & Kids

Answers

I think it's a reaction that animals have when they think something is hurt and could possibly be prey/food. I know when my Springer yelps, my Shepherd/Husky will actually attack her. It's also possible that she picked up on the stress of the moment and just reacted by biting you. If the cry was particularly high-pitched, it probably hurt her ears.

When I was a toddler, or maybe a little older, my mom's cat, who would ignore me all day long, would freak out every time I cried at night. At first they thought it was the noise, but after they started leaving my door open (so the cat could get in and see I was okay) he stopped freaking and began sleeping on the floor in my room
(Then, of course, started my screaming yell of "kittykittykitty" when he wasn't in the room when it was time for bed. )